Estonia: Lighthouse and Map Series New Issue

Estonia 2011-06-02

Estonia 2011-06-02

On June 2, 2011, Estonian Post released another in the series of lighthouse and map stamps. The single €0.35 denomination stamp depicts the Vergi Lighthouse as situated on the Northern coast of Estonia and the Gulf of Finland. Some information from the Estonian Post web site provides the following description. In the late 19th and early 20th century Vergi was one of the largest fishing villages on the North Estonian coast. In the 1920s the Port of Vergi served as a wintering harbour for small ships in addition to the local shipbuilding industry. In 1924 an automatic light beacon attached to an iron lattice frame was put up on a large coastal reef adjoining the port. Similar beacons were erected on several other Estonian islands, such as Prangli and Muhu. In 1936 a reinforced concrete lighthouse ten meters high replaced the rusted iron beacon. During World War II there was no light in the Vergi lighthouse, however in 1945 the light was restarted. The Vergi Lighthouse is 75 years old in 2011 and is a white concrete tower with lantern room and balcony, 10 meters high from its base and the visibility of the light is about 14 kilometers. The previous issue in this series was the Suurupi Leading Light Lighthouses single, issued on April 22, 2010.

Comments are closed.